Sport Medicine and Science Research
History of Sport Medicine and Science Research of the Japan Sport Association
History of sport medicine and science of the Japan Sport Association began when it established “Sports Medical Consultation Office” in 1947 as it set out to manage the health of athletes and offer medical counseling.
Afterwards, to promote the strengthening of athletes in the XXIII Olympiad in Tokyo (1964), it organized the “Sports Scientific Research Committee” (now, Sport Medicine and Science Research Committee) in 1960, and came to advance activities which support the enhancement of athletes such as promoting training doctor placement in various sports.
Since 1975, in addition to the medical support and the research above, it has developed research projects to promote sport in Japan from the various research areas such as Sport Medicine, Exercise Physiology, Sport Nutrition, Psychology and Sociology.
Overview of Sport Meaicine and Science Research
- 1) Accumulatie and utilize evidence for enjoyment of sport culture
- Databese construction for research findings
- Enhancement of the think tank function
- Preparation of “Sport White Paper”
- 2) Maintain and improve diversity and sustainability through sport
- Consideration and treatment for sexual minorities (e.g., LGBT)
- Conservation of the natural environment
- 3) Improve the quality of sport coaches and leaders capable of responding to diverse needs
- Active Child Program (ACP)
- Successful Aging program
- Exercise and sport habit formation
- Prevention of sport injury and heat stroke
- 4) Enhance partnership among member organizations and sport related research institutes
- Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD)
- Support for female athletes